Wednesday 7 January 2015

Alex Song`s Final Goodbye To The Cameroon National Team


West Ham’s Alex Song has announced his immediate retirement from international football.
The 27-year-old Cameroon midfielder has 47 caps but has not played for his country since being sent off against Croatia in the group stages of the 2014 World Cup, and was left out of the national squad for the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations.

West Ham, who have Song on loan from Barcelona feared they would lose him for the rest of the month after he flew back to his homeland to discuss his international future with the Cameroon Football Federation. Those fears have now been allayed, with Song announcing that he has decided to quit the national team.
“Since the World Cup in the summer and my subsequent exclusion from the Cameroon squad for the Cup of Nations I have taken the decision to retire from international football,” he said. “It is true that there were some discussions of late to include me in the squad for this tournament but I feel after a lot of careful thought and numerous discussions with my family this is the right decision.
“My love for my country will never change but I want to take time to focus purely on domestic football and to start to rebuild my career at West Ham United. I wish Cameroon all the best and the team will always be in my heart.”

Source: The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment